Constructed in 16th Century by Shah Jahan the greatest supporter of Architecture It was used as the imperial pleasure Garden by the Moguls during 16th to 19th century. In 1818 it has been to its most horrible days when it was damaged by the Sikh ruler Ranjit sing and was used as stable. During British era (1842- 1947) It gained its value as the Garden again and was open to Public.
Shalimar Gardens are situated 8 kilometers east of Lahore. They were made to order by Shah Jahan in 1637. The structure of the garden is inspired by the gardens of the same name, in Kashmir, and would later be imitated in the Shalimar Gardens of Delhi.
The enclosed space is over 457 meters (500 yards) long, and contains 2 gardens, with a narrow rectangular veranda in between them. Each garden is separated by canals and flowerbeds, following the Persian custom of the Charbagh, or fourfold garden. Each of the 3 parts is on a different height, so that the higher parts are concealed from the view of people coming from below. The highest, and so the most confidential, segment is thought to have been used by the royal women.
The channels of water that knit through the entire garden are supplied by canals designed and administered by a defector from the Persian court, Ali Mardan Khan, or Inayat Khan, known for his architectural and construction proficiency. The gardens contain white marble buildings in classic Shah Jahani style. They are enclosed by a red brickwork wall seperated by small decorative kiosks. The Shalimar Gardens are among the best preserved Mughal gardens.